Um, this year didn’t go as expected. Who can agree with me?
When I look back at my list of goals that I made in December 2019, my heart sinks a bit. I set three goals for the year, and just barely accomplished one. Given everything that happened this year, this achieved goal may be worthy of celebration. However, I am still thinking of the other two that are dangling out there incomplete. One of these goals was to grow our studio business and begin working with more clients. Our studio business slowed way down, so I feel like I even lost ground on that goal.
It’s natural to mourn the loss of these unachieved goals. It’s easy to blame myself. “I should have barreled through the events of this year and kept hustling” I should have but I just couldn’t. For my own well-being, as well as the well-being of my family, I had to slow down. Way down. And I know you are probably in a similar situation. So many people are feeling disappointed, lost, overwhelmed, and just ready to get this year over with. As much as we want this year to be over, there’s still four very important months ahead of us—months that matter to us.
So, what are we going to do with these four months? Despite these unexpected changes, what can we do to move our business or creative practice forward? These are the questions we’ll explore in our upcoming course: 2020 Goals Reset.
In this two-week Textile Design Lab course, we’ll come together as a community and look forward at the rest of 2020. We’ll lean on each other for ideas, motivation, and support, while also empowering our actions through education and research. We’ll hear industry insight and history from Art Licensing Agent Melissa Schulz and gain more information from the reports and market insight available to us through WGSN Insight. The course begins on August 31st and runs for two weeks.
Here’s the course schedule:
- Monday: This day we will reflect on 2020 to date to evaluate our goals that we did and did not accomplish.
- Wednesday: We’ll set one key goal for the remainder of 2020.
- Friday: We will benefit from a presentation by Art Licensing Agent Melissa Schulz on the history of the industry and how this informs the future.
- Monday: There will be a presentation by Michelle Fifis on her key takeaways from WGSN Insight reports and guidance.
- Wednesday: We’ll create a plan to achieve your key goal for the remainder of 2020 and seek guidance from the TDL community to help you succeed.
- Friday: We’ll explore tools and resources to help keep you motivated and on track for the remainder of 2020.
Let’s work together and get our plans back on track for this year. Goals have shifted, priorities have changed, and many of us are now balancing extra responsibilities. This group-study is a time for us to come together as a community and begin an aspired, results-driven remainder of 2020. Please join us here.