Featured Designer: Kate Hougen of MiraJeanDesigns
Kate Hougen is the owner and designer behind the “colorful and coastal” MiraJeanDesigns, whose mission is “to make homes brighter via art-inspired and sustainably-designed textiles and home decor.”
A self-taught textile designer, Kate writes that she feels like she “was born to design textiles!” Kate sells her textiles by the yard (printed on select natural and organic fabrics), as well as decorative pillows and luxuriously soft, 100% organic cotton throws. Each design begins with a watercolor painting. She also does custom repeat designs for clients, “a wonderful custom or Mother’s day gift.”
About the MiraJeanDesigns process and fabrics
- The 100% organic cotton knit is a luxuriously soft cotton; wonderful for baby and crib bedding, and throws.
- The linen & cotton canvas blend I work with is probably the most versatile of the fabrics. It’s wonderful for draperies, roman shades, decorative pillows, light upholstery, headboards and more.
- The soft, Kona cotton I offer is wonderful for quilters and table linens.
- The cotton poplin is a great, durable fabric that also works well for table linens, as well as clothing.
- The 100% organic cotton sateen is heavenly; not only is it 100% organic, the colors printed on this fabric are incredibly vibrant and it has a wonderful, luxurious sheen to it. It is wonderful for duvets, fashion, and projects seeking a truly light and elegant fabric.